Monday 11 November 2013

Turning over a new leaf



Work in progress - oil and dye on canvas - approx 2m x 1.5m


















There is something seriously sensual about oil on canvas.  My first love is outdoor drawing and working in my Moleskin sketchbooks.  With this painting I want to retain the instantaneous feeling of being there and responding expressively to the landscape. Working on a large scale with big brushes and a palette knife allows me to retain this feeling of spontaneity.  Painting in the fold of the sketchbook acts as a compositional device and also makes the link between the initial sketch and the painting.  The next layers will be hot light shining through from behind the trees.
This is the first new post in my artist blog.  
I update photos from the studio regularly and these new posts will give you a bit of insight into my influences and processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment